« Home | Previous Post: Freedom » | Previous Post: Prayer Requests » | Previous Post: Picking Blueberries » | Previous Post: Memorial Day » | Previous Post: You Say; God Says » | Previous Post: Becoming My Mother » | Previous Post: Praying for Rescue » | Previous Post: Love Gifts » | Previous Post: Not Home for Easter » | Previous Post: Because of His Love »



You Must Be Quiet

Friday, July 07, 2006

As church secretary I'm in the unique position to preview the pastor's sermons while typing each point and Scripture into the Power Point program. That means I screen typos, offer commentary to the pastor, and even make suggestions. (I don't advocate those last two for every church secretary, but since I'm also his wife I can usually get by with it *grin*.) But, to be perfectly honest, I usually pay more attention to the mechanics of the sermon instead of the substance. The Scripture passages are on the computer so all I really have to do is find, copy, and paste them where they need to go. This past week, however, one verse in particular jumped out at me giving me cause to stop and ponder.

Exodus 14:14 "The LORD will fight for you; you must be quiet." (That's from the Holman Christian Standard Bible.)

Read it in the New International Version:

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Read that once more:

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still." (The emphasis is mine.)

Background for this verse is the crossing of the Red Sea. But couldn't it apply to me (and all of us)? How many times have I found myself in a spiritual battle trying to fight it out on my own? (I won't answer that.) I worry, panic, busy myself, etc. But here God is promising to fight our battles for us...with a condition... "you need only to be still."

In Psalm 46:10 God says, "Be still, and know that I am God..."

I don't believe this is a command to be lazy, but rather an assurance that He has everything under control. Perhaps it is even a warning that sometimes we get in the way of what He is trying to accomplish. Maybe it is an invitation to watch Him at work and be amazed at His power. (How can we watch Him when we're busy looking at ourselves?)

I'm not really sure what else the sermon holds (I was thinking about this verse the whole time), but I've already been "preached" to by His still, small voice.

Amen.

Posted by Drewe Llyn, Girlfriend's Mentor at 5:18 PM

Post a Comment

« Home