« Home | Previous Post: Thanksgiving Special » | Previous Post: The Power of One » | Previous Post: Thankful » | Previous Post: "Come see what I made!" » | Previous Post: World Trade Center » | Previous Post: Suicide » | Previous Post: Every Good and Perfect Gift » | Previous Post: James 1:1-4 Part 1 » | Previous Post: Disappointments » | Previous Post: Feeding the Children »



What Can I Do for You?

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Many of you know that our family spent nearly two years as missionaries in a Muslim part of Europe. Though their civil war had ended several years earlier, there was still much poverty and need among the people. Our family was there to help in the recovery not only physically, but spiritually as well. Because "missionaries" weren't allowed in the country, we were there as humanitarians which in this case means everyone who needed anything came to us. Helping people with their physical needs often opened the door to share Jesus. But somedays....well, here's what I wrote to our prayer partners about the situation. I thought it appropriate for the Thanksgiving weekend:


What Can I Do for You?

Questions. I'm weary of them.
Questions. Always the same.
"Can you fix my roof?"
"Can you help with our rent?"
"Can you get me to America?"
"I need money for….."

Honestly, sometimes I think the only reason people want to get to know us is so they can get something from us. And I'm tired of it.

We had another such encounter today. I have had to fight the tears and the desire to cry out loud, "DOESN'T ANYONE HERE LIKE US JUST BECAUSE THEY LIKE US?" I'm tired of relationships based on my ability to do something for someone. Can I be honest here? Sometimes when people are extra friendly to us I have to fight the urge to question their motives. I've been asked for stuff so many times.

Somehow I don't think Raymond and I are the first to have this problem. Check out these comments and requests:

"Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." ~ Matthew 8:2b

When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help... ~ Matthew 8:5

"Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" ~ Matthew 8:25

Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat ~ Matthew 9:2

And how about this one:

While he was saying this, a ruler came and knelt before him and said, "My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live." ~ Matthew 9:18

(This is just a sampling; I could list dozens of others.) As I read through the Gospels I find that almost everyone that came to Jesus wanted something from Him. I wonder if He ever got tired of all the help-me cries. You be the judge…right after He fed the five thousand Matthew 14:23 says, "After he had dismissed them (the crowd), he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray."

I can't help but wonder….

Does God ever get tired of our help-me cries today? Don't take that question the wrong way. I know the Scriptures say, "Ask and it shall be given to you…" (Matthew 7:7) "You may ask me for anything in my name…" (John 14:14) And "You do not have, because you do not ask God." (James 4:4b) I claim these promises often, and I present many petitions to God. I know that He delights in giving good gifts to His children and that He wants us to make our requests known to Him (Philippians 4:6) I'm certainly not saying that we shouldn't ask for God's help. After all, only He can truly help us as we depend on Him for everything. But after today I wonder if occasionally God just wants to be loved because of Who He is and not because of what He can and does do for us. Does He want us to just spend time with Him because we want to spend time with Him and not because we want something? Do we praise Him as often as we request things? Does He ever say, "No" to our requests because He is testing our motives in coming to Him? What is our devotion to Him based on anyway?

I think I'll take a few extra moments today to just bask in His glory and be thankful that He is the great I AM. (See Exodus 3:14)

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." ~ Psalm 46:10.

Enjoying the Lord with you,
Drewe Llyn

Labels:

Posted by Drewe Llyn, Girlfriend's Mentor at 5:11 AM

Post a Comment

« Home